Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Original Recipe: The Two Eyed Pancake

       Recently, while trying to combine the best of two breakfast meals, I had an moment of Eureka. I believe I was driving at the moment of the epiphany, when it occurred to me, that I could combine the classic Egg-in-a-hole recipe with the massive 2000 Calorie morning pancake. Why not make a hole in a pancake, and fill it with eggs!
To create the hole in the pancake batter, I used a pint glass upside down in the middle of the pan. This created a solid torus for the pancake to form around.  Managing the timing of the pancake, as well as the eggs in the center took a little more effort than a typical Egg-in-a-hole recipe, where the bread doesn't need to cook thoroughly like a pancake does. Once the pint glass was taken out, the shape of the pancake allowed for eggs to be cracked in the center.
       Note: the rim of the pint glass, was a bit messy and really needed a scrubbing in the sink with some soap.

      Once the egg's were cooked enough on the bottom, the pancake was ready for turning. A little tricky maneuver with the eggs so uncooked, but doable. The kitchen smelled of the sweet combination of pancakes cooking with fresh fried eggs in the air! While it was cooking on it's backside, I couldn't help but think of the toppings. Normally for a pancake, I put Peanut butter and syrup (Sugar Free Syrup recommended for no Crash all Dash!) all over it. While for egg's I enjoy a bit of savory jam. So with this pancake-egg combination dish, I decided to use both of these toppings. With a rim of peanut butter for the pancake section, and a layer of jam for the egg portion. Then, all topped off with a nice layer of syrup! 


       Right when I was dumping a bunch of syrup on this two-eyed-pancake, I had a realization, that I might just have made the most disgusting food combination ever. After a bite, this was clearly not the case. Rather it was one of the best tasting pancakes I have ever had! With lot's of calories to offer and a full stomach, I was pleased with this new recipe! It took a bit more care to make, but it was an enjoyable experience, reflecting back on it now, I would call it a Cooking Adventure! I felt that this recipe opened up a whole new set of possibilities for breakfast cooking. So I ask you, the reader, how could this recipe be modified to be even better?

No comments:

Post a Comment