Thursday, November 3, 2011

Relaxed to Fit: Levi Stauss 501


Jean shopping for me was never fun. In fact clothes shopping in general was never an enjoyable experience. I always felt like I had to re-define 'my style' of clothes and that meant going out on a limb of change. I never knew what I liked, and what I wanted from these clothes, other then just to look good, feel good and not be naked. It wasn't until I went to pick up a new pair of jeans at a local clothing store in 2009, that I really fell in love with a pair of jeans. I remember first looking at them, and noticing they did not have a zipper. "No Zipper?, I don't want something weird like buttons for a zipper!" I was hesitant to even bring them to the dressing room.  I don't know why I walked into the dressing room that night, but for some reason I did.Later that night I walked away away from the store with 3 pairs of jeans.
 Just as a quick side note about buying clothes all at once. I have found that when you buy more then 2 items of clothes that are supplementary to one another (ie. one day you can wear one and the next day you can wear the other, but you could never where both items of clothes on the same day because that would be a double layer of unfashionable warmness) it seams that you will always prefer one over the other. Somehow one will just become your "favorite" of all the others. This is the problem when buying clothes "in series" as I call it. Buying clothes "in series" is when you buy the clothes in one trip. However buying clothes in parallel is when you buy them in multiple trips, and it's when clothes are bought in parallel that you can find similar clothes that are complementary, but you can like both of them very much, but for 2 completely different reasons. Anyways, so with this particular "in series" shopping spree, I picked up 3 pairs of jeans. Only one of which I still wear to this day.  That pair of jeans is the Levi Strauss 501.

I can't describe exactly what I like about these pair of blue jeans, but the way they fit, their comfortable spacious interior is unlike any other jean I have had. They give a relaxed feel, yet still allow movement and hard work to take place while wearing them. They are like a multipurpose room from elementary school, allowing all sorts of activities to take place within one set of walls, weather it is basketball, choir practice, or a rainy day lunch. The button up fly not only works, but also gives a nice variance to the typical fly and zipper set up on many other popular leg/thigh coverings.


My usage of the Levi 501 has lead me to reveal a flaw in the making of the jeans, noticeably around the arch of the jean where one pant leg meets the other. It seams that in 2 of the 4 pairs' of the 501 jeans I own, that they simply do not hold up well at this weak point. While the jeans continue to provide great leg covering, they also add an additional, yet unwanted, air conditioner to the denim coverings. They also appear to give a rip at the knees, but I'll blame this on user error, rather than the jean's fabrication.




To conclude, these 501's by Levi Stauss are an amazing piece of work, and if you haven't gotten your leg's inside a pair yet, then I suggest you give it a try, hey you might like it enough to buy a few pair of a pair of jeans in series!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Like this post! Don't own any Levi's, but your persuasiveness leads me thinking that I should get a pair. Haha, saw this from your Rambling on a Bike video,where you put the link.

    Love those videos! Watching them only makes me smile and laugh more!:) One of the segments was good, but didn't understand how it worked. It was the one where you said your scriptwriter took a vacation (do you really have one?), and then you mentioned a pick up line idea-with the puzzle and filling in the words. Pretty clever, but how is that a pick up line? haha

    anyways...lovin' the rambling on a bike man! Hope someone joins the $20 challenge!

    ReplyDelete