Sunday, October 3, 2010

New Recipie: Sloppy Matts (Aka: Spaghetti Burgers)

  A few nights ago I realized I had two things laying around in the kitchen that I needed to get rid of. They were the last of a big bag of spaghetti noodles and 2 hamburger buns that I didn't finish from the last time I made Sloppy Joes. Since both were over a month old (don't worry the hamburger buns were in the refrigerator) I really needed to use both of these. On this particular night I also felt like making not just a regular spaghetti, but a spaghetti with Sausage as the meat, and also incorporate mushrooms and some garlic and onions in the sauce. I did a quick google search for some recipes along these lines and came up with pasta sauce recipe from cooks.com
  After a quick trip to the store (via Bike of course!) I was ready to heat up the kitchen and start cooking. 
  First, I put some vegetable oil in a pan and cooked the sausages. Once they were cooked, I left the grease/oil mixture in the pan and sauteed some minced garlic and half of a chopped onion in the pan. A few minutes later I added the sliced mushrooms. In the mean time, on the back burner (literally) I heated up some water and cooked the spaghetti noodles. 
  I then diced the sausages into little circular cylinders and added them back to the mushrooms and sauté mixture. After pouring the store bought tomato sauce and cutting up some basil leaves and adding that to the mixture I was ready to make the Spaghetti Burgers (AKA Sloppy Matts).


  The Hamburger buns had to be toasted a bit before they were ready to become Sloppy Matts. Once the noodles and sauce are combined, it's just a matter of placing it on the hamburger bun and eating it! As for the taste, it tastes very delicious! The bun provides everything the spaghetti on it's own can't provide. Make sure to have plenty of napkins, because compared to Sloppy Matts cousin, Sloppy Joe, these are extremely messy. Noodles slipping out of the burger is very common, and sauce getting all over your hands can be expected.
  One day my dream could come true to have Sloppy Matt's as a menu item at a restaurant. Possibly Pizza Factory might be interested in such a partnership, as they have spaghetti and calzones on their menu. Or maybe a new restaurant is needed for this type of food. I had this one idea for a restaurant to serve only really messy foods (ie. crab, Sloppy Matts, Indian food) and right when your super messy the server goes around and take pictures of you. The Pictures of people being really messy with their food are posted all over the lobby walls for new guests to see. Messy food would be kinda the culture/vibe of the restaurant. Don't worry thou, the bathrooms would be really amazing for any clean up required! And in addition to mint's and toothpicks being provided in the lobby, they give out small samples of Oxiclean for your clothes.

Well, If you ever feel like a little something different, try a Sloppy Matt on your own and let me know what you think!

-Matt


P.s. You can also experiment with your own recipe to make a Cheesy Sloppy Matt by adding a layer of cheese between the bun and the spaghetti mixture!

2 comments:

  1. Messy food (Indian food) should I be offended?

    Ankoor

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I was so hoping I was the first to think the Idea but from urs and mine they look alot different. I got mine to stay in burger shape and the noodles wrap around. all kinds of toppings. uhmmm i'm still processing the whole idea lol

    ReplyDelete